Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Students stepping up...and more

First off: Thanks to Kassy Bartelme and Colleen Flaherty for these next articles. Also, they tipped me off to Pharmacy Practice News. There are two things in life that make me happy: Spring and new pharmacy related news websites. I should probably say Laura too, but she doesn't read this anyways, so whatever.

Ok, back to real news. Medication Reconciliation is one of the goals within JCAHO. Goal 8 if you really want to know. If you work in a hospital, you've likely heard of "Med Rec" and 1) know it's important 2) know it's difficult to get accurate and 3) likely know that pharmacy isn't always involved. Last year at APhA2007, APhA-ASP brought this up and wanted to make it a priority for pharmacists and student pharmacist to the be the health care practitioner that provides this care.

Well, it looks like students CAN make a difference. Proof? Here. By the way, you have register with Pharmacy Practice News, but, ummm....we're entering pharmacy practice, so why not learn about the news within pharmacy practice. Plus, it's free.

Ok, lots of comments could be made on this. Let's do a pro/con debate. Against myself. Or for myself. I get confused. I'd go on Zyprexa, but I might get diabetes.

Pro: Students are learning about med rec. They are engaging patients in the role of a pharmacist, and are showing patients that we can do more than dispense. Patient outcomes are improving.

Con: Students shouldn't be used to do work pharmacists should be using. Hospitals should find a better way to do med rec. Interns should also be trained to do this (who are being paid) not students (who are paying)

Comment below-you can do that you know.

2 comments:

Mikey said...

Thanks Jared! Great post...will be helpful for my leadership action plan

Xenical orlistat said...

wow, that's a great blog I have ever come across, the elements in the blog are very knowledgeable.

Many thanks!!