Tuesday, March 25, 2008

TB Talk

I may or may not listen to NPR constantly. I won't comment on either side. But, one time, I happened upon a story that I found very interesting: On tuberculosis in Bangladesh. Two important things to note before going to the NPR piece: 1) Drug resistance to TB is a problem worldwide. The WHO checked this out recently, and I mentioned it a few weeks ago.
2) Bangladesh is a poor country and one of the most population-dense countries in the world. Bangladesh also just suffered a horrible hurricane last November.

So, judging by those two facts, one might say Bangladesh would have a horrible rate of MDR-TB. Meh, turns out-no. How'd they do it? Well, take 5 min, and listen to the NPR piece.

Some interesting points, and I'll just throw out two words: Alligned incentives. It's amazing what can be accomplished if an entire population believes in one goal.

No comments: