Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Scratch your trip to Azerbaijan...

Bummer, I know. According to the WHO, the incidence of Multi-drug resistant TB is at the highest level, and is also at it's highest level ever. What is MDR-TB? Well, I would tell you, but I haven't started studying for my therapy test. As always, Wikipedia has the answer (from now on, I'm going to abbreviate that statement as AAWHTA) The WHO also has a great site on tuberculosis as well. MDR-TB is also highest, oddly enough, in eastern Europe and the countries of the former Soviet Union. Why? Poor funding for TB drugs, slow diagnoses of MDR-TB and stopping treatment before cure. However, Africa only provided info on 6 countries which may skew the results. Now, geography wasn't my strong point, but I'm pretty sure there's at least 8 countries in Africa, possibly as many as 10 (no really, look at a map. Also, they also have the highest incidence of TB, so take the info in the report with a grain of salt. If you really want to get into the report-go to the actual report. But, you better have some serious spare time.

No comments: